The Edible Garden Project
" The EGP Mission
* To increase use of local land for primary food production.
* To increase consumption of local fruits and vegetables on the North Shore, especially by those in need.
* To increase knowledge and skills in food preservation and storage.
* To increase knowledge about the benefits of locally produced foods.
* To increase community capacity to respond to the demand for locally produced fruits and vegetables.
The EGP is the result of an extensive community consultation process where food security has been identified as a key priority area. Adequate access to fresh fruit and vegetables is a cornerstone to good health, but is beyond the reach of many low income community members. The mission of the project is to create a network of communities where locally grown food is collected and distributed to organizations that provide food to low income families and individuals. The EGP strives to create a network between homeowners with gardens who want to donate a portion of their harvest, people who have under or un-used garden space and would like to cultivate this land for growing food, and volunteers who want to contribute to the growing, sharing, and learning around locally produced food. The EGP aims to provide information and education to the community, where knowledge and skills are built around ecological food gardening, healthy eating, and food preservation."
In This Space